Surf Vacation in Costa Rica

Surf Camp


The day finally came! After saving money and vacation time from work, it was time to go to the airport. I stepped on the plane from chilly NJ to Costa Rica. 
My surfing adventures to date had left me with 2 boards, 1 wetsuit and a lot of wipeouts. I'd wanted to go to a place where I could go surfing every day with good instructors. A friend told me about a surf camp in Jaco, Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica, so I made my plans and went. 


OK, I'll let you in on a secret. I wanted to compete as a surfer, as unlikely as that sounds. I wasn't going to be stopped. I'm not talking about the "World Tour." The annual local beach clam bake and surf contest would be fine. That's still a stretch and there was work to do.

I was picked up at the airport by Edwin, a friend to this day, who drove me to the camp in Jaco. I felt like I'd stepped into a postcard. Costa Rica has a topography caused by one huge tectonic plate slipping under another, creating volcanoes and very high, steep mountains. Mix that with tropical rainforest and you have the vista. The breeze was fresh and balmy.



Pictures of the beautiful Vista Guapa in Costa Rica

Costa Rica is beautiful and the weather was perfect. Shorts, sandals, t-shirts and swim stuff was all I needed. I'd brought a sweater "just in case."  What was I thinking?

Besides being beautiful, Costa Rica has the advantage of excellent instructors and Pacific Ocean waves, which are large, gentle waves and longer than those on the Northern Atlantic coast.  


Alvero Solano, my first instructor, had been the Costa Rican surf champ several times. The surf camp attracted serious surfers as well as vacationers who wanted to say they'd gone surfing. Instructions were appropriate for all levels, and for those who were sincerely interested in learning, he is an excellent instructor. He gave a technique clinic on land in the afternoon. In the water, he acknowledged our success and held our feet to the fire when we made a mistake. He'd set us out on the wave, "?Lista?Paddle, Paddle. Pop up!" and I'd be off on the wave - or wipe out. After a good performance, he’d always let us know that we did a good job. He noticed when I’d improved and commented on it. Alvero's philosophy was to ride big boards on easy waves until you were bored, then move to smaller, more difficult boards and bigger waves.

A picture of Alvero

He was great, but strict. One time I jumped off early. 

  Alvero: “What was that!” 
  Me: “Huh?” 
  Alvero: “You FIGHT for every wave! That wave will never happen again.”
  Me: OK! 
That was the last time I gave up early ever again.

I was gaining confidence and skill. I also got a lesson in dealing with my fear. On one of the last days in Costa Rica, I was out with Josy, one of the other instructors, and the waves were big. I told Josie I was nervous and without slowing down, he explained and showed me how to breath in the rhythm of the strokes to calm myself. I did it, and immediately I was calmer.

A picture of Josy

I had an amazing day after that. The waves were the biggest I'd ever been in. If I were in NJ, the waves that size would have been too big for me, but in Costa Rica, the waves are just a little bit more gentle; they give you an extra second to pop up, which is all the time I need.

Josy helped push me out to the area where the waves were breaking. A wave came in and he gave the battle cry, "Paddle, paddle! Stand up!" I stood up and wiped out, but realized I could have taken it. I knew what I had to do. I got back up on the board and back out to the point where the waves were breaking and the next (big, overhead) wave came along. "Paddle, paddle! Stand up!" I LANDED it. I took the drop and ended up on my feet on the board on the wave. I rode it at least 150 meters (200 yards) right into an ongoing surf contest. Not kidding. Watch what you ask for. 

Josy came in and pointed to the judges and we both got out of there quickly.  

This is me



Now, the minute I start paddling, I start breathing in the slow, measured way Josy had demonstrated. Furthermore, it has permeated my life. Whenever I’m nervous, I find myself resorting to that breath. 

This was just the beginning. I had yet to meet the Costa Rican queen of the waves, Lisbeth Vindas …




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Freedom: Surfing!

Costa Rica Crocodiles and Surfing

Did the Sharks Get the Memo?